Skip to main content
Welcome guest. | Register | Login | Post

An informal update

2 replies [Last post]
ariadacapo's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-07-13

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately in the coming 4 days I will seldom have network access (again... I will say more on this soon), so I thought I would jot down the ideas floating around the GetGnuLinux.org website.

* Some things coming up next week, unless there is some disagreement (doesn't look like it but if so please express opinions!): Big rename to GetGNULinux.org and capitalisation of Gnus throughout - New small graphics on Windows page - more mentions of "non-free" instead of "proprietary".
.

* I hoped to have a Project Management set-up this week, but it looks more complicated that I thought. The goal was to enable a clear overview of all possible sub-projects and strategies(?) behind the site, and enable easy commenting/participation. (so not a CMS to run GetGnuLinux dynamically - simply something to organise ideas and projects). So far this is not as easy as this forum, so we shall see. I'll give it some more try.
The goal behind that is to make direct participation easier so we can go faster. I can't quite completely handle the website alone!
.

* Coming in the medium-term (maybe-hopefully... subject to availability as they say ;-)): Page about Mac OSX (appended to main Windows page) - correct&clean set-up of official translations - FAQ for "switch to Linux" section
.

* Ideas for future (absolutely nothing certain): More advanced cooperation with PolisLinux.org - pdf file to download and print or mail - presentation for short talks - clean list of vendors selling Linux-pre-installed PCs
.

* Next month, I hope to launch a more "dynamic" campaign to make the site more popular (especially if the Project Management is set-up...). I have many ideas for that: reaching out to other communities, making new buttons, writing a couple of articles...

This is all I can think of at the moment. I apologise once more if I disappear from the forums from time to time - things are not all that easy outside of my computer ;-)

Of course please comment and criticise at will so we can improve.

Olivier.

libervisco's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-04
ariadacapo wrote: * Some
ariadacapo wrote:

* Some things coming up next week, unless there is some disagreement (doesn't look like it but if so please express opinions!): Big rename to GetGNULinux.org and capitalisation of Gnus throughout - New small graphics on Windows page - more mentions of "non-free" instead of "proprietary".

All of this sounds great to me. Smiling

Quote:

* I hoped to have a Project Management set-up this week, but it looks more complicated that I thought. The goal was to enable a clear overview of all possible sub-projects and strategies(?) behind the site, and enable easy commenting/participation. (so not a CMS to run GetGnuLinux dynamically - simply something to organise ideas and projects). So far this is not as easy as this forum, so we shall see. I'll give it some more try.
The goal behind that is to make direct participation easier so we can go faster. I can't quite completely handle the website alone!

Maybe it would be easiest to just use the wiki that is already set up. You can have different sections for different types of collaboration and making these sections/pages in mediawiki is quite easy. Comments and discussions can very well stay on these forums as I think that has been working out pretty well so far. Setting up some additional complext collaboration system like activeCollab may just prove to be more hassle than is worth. Just my 2c. Smiling

Quote:

* Coming in the medium-term (maybe-hopefully... subject to availability as they say Wink alt): Page about Mac OSX (appended to main Windows page) - correct&clean set-up of official translations - FAQ for "switch to Linux" section

Adding that at some point sounds like a good plan, but it is usually much harder to switch Mac fans to GNU/Linux. Mac OS X actually is a great OS so the biggest "selling points" for GNU/Linux versus Mac are in freedom, choice and flexibility, things that Mac misses.

Aside from that I don't have much to say for other ideas you mentioned. They sound good to me.

ariadacapo's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-07-13
some more delay

This week is as busy as ever for me (I will post something next week explaining why) so the updates will only come in 24hrs from this message (changes are done but they must be put online).
Sorry for delay...
O

edit: changes are now online, but you need to refresh your browser to see the capitalisation (I didn't change file names). Please let me know of any quirks that could have slipped through.

Comment viewing options

<