Skip to main content
Welcome guest. | Register | Login | Post

Back at it ... need more research, I guess.

Had to stop for a while & do some other-world stuff (non-PC). Comments on the blog already! Nice to know that maybe someone will catch me getting ready to do something dumb & point me in the right direction.

Well, one thing for sure is that I've still got a lot of choices to narrow down, but there is a HUGE amount of distribution details and comparison info out there. I've determined what some of the 'camps' are all about, and if I can manage to do some better self-analysis instead fo just saying "nah-I don't like that" I might be getting somewhere. This is muddied by the fact that I usually just want to do some specific tasks & get on with it, but every now & then I play around with a home network, edit some video stuff, diagnose my family car problems, etc.

Progress, though. I think I now know that
(1) I'm not a free software purist enough to use total freeware (at least not initially). That helps eliminate some choices.
(2) I gotta have a reasonably easy installer/uninstaller. I'm not afraid of a command line, but I mostly gave that up 10 or 15 years ago and I'm not THAT sorry.
(3) I'm a software-a-holic so item 2 is even more important since I want to keep the results of poor software choice removal to a minimum! And, I suppose that means I should look for a distribution with a large choice of "packages".
(4) I like what Gnome stuff looks like, not too keen on the KDE stuff I've seen. But, now I think I'm finding that it might go deeper than just skin, so I need to investigate that.

Packages ruled out + new questions = more research.

Comments

jd4x4 wrote: (1) I'm not a

jd4x4 wrote:

(1) I'm not a free software purist enough to use total freeware (at least not initially).

Freeware doesn't mean free software and vice versa. Freeware is just software you can get without paying money. Software that calls itself freeware is usually nonfree. Free software can (but rarely) be charged a fee for.

jd4x4 wrote:

That helps eliminate some choices.

Unfortunately, that actually opens more choices (many distros include nonfree software like Adobe Flash and drivers from NVIDIA and ATi).

jd4x4 wrote:

(2) I gotta have a reasonably easy installer/uninstaller. I'm not afraid of a command line, but I mostly gave that up 10 or 15 years ago and I'm not THAT sorry.
(3) I'm a software-a-holic so item 2 is even more important since I want to keep the results of poor software choice removal to a minimum! And, I suppose that means I should look for a distribution with a large choice of "packages".

Every modern distro can do that easily.

The notable exception (which is declining in usage due to like Zenwalk and Arch) is Slackware.

jd4x4 wrote:

(4) I like what Gnome stuff looks like, not too keen on the KDE stuff I've seen. But, now I think I'm finding that it might go deeper than just skin, so I need to investigate that.

Yes, try each out for a while and then see which one you like more.

Just a note, in addition to

Just a note, in addition to what a_thing said, Free means freedom not zero-price here, basically a set of rights with software that are available.

Sounds like you're another guy who would do well with Ubuntu, perhaps Debian. Both have a powerful package manager, apt-get with a GUI front end called "synaptic" and a lot of packages, so it should fulfill your requirements easily.

my bad .. again.

 

Thanks guys. I gotta work on saying what I mean, not saying what's familiar/easiest. Years of using the term "freeware" .. but I do (I think) recently understand the difference.

You're right on the mark (maybe) about Ubuntu! It's the first one I'm trying and so far I like it a lot. I'm using the live CD right at the moment, but I'm going to try a few others as well before I make the final decision.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.