Dead USR8000-02A Broadband Router
First, there's a reason I'm making this post here. If I post on groups.google.com, the people who respond regarding DSL hardware often have zero Linux knowlege. You guys have all been so nice to me before, so I figured I'd try this here.
I had a bad night.
I tried to take my USR 8000-02A broadband router and do a firmware upgrade on it. It's the routine thing I do about once a week to ensure I'm not sending packets through a hacked router. I keep a v2.7 firmware binary upgrade file around on my Linux system and use the web browser interface for it on 192.168.123.254 to update it. In the middle of this update, they warn you not to touch a single thing until the 20 seconds complete and it is done. I've done the firewall upgrade countless times without issue.
Unfortunately at that point, my browser timed out and the router was dead.
I have a handy little reset button on it when this occurs. The manual says, "To reset, unplug the power supply. Press in and hold the reset button. While holding the reset button, plug in the power supply again. Keep holding until the System LED begins flashing. Release the reset button at that time." I've done this a few times before and sure enough it works.
Unfortunately today at 2am when I did this, the device didn't come back to life. I gingerly took it apart and inspected it to see if there was a jumper or DIP switch I could flip to see if it could reset it to the factory default. Unfortunately, nothing like that exists inside. All the chips are soldered and there's no tape across an eprom (no eprom in fact) that I could remove, expose to light, and put it back again.
So I repeated the reset trick over and over again with different timing. Nothing worked.
If it works, it responds to ping and to port 80 requests with my browser on 192.168.123.254. So far, all I can get is ping activity, which kind of hints at having at least an OS boot up on it, but no web server.
So I disconnected and tried to hit it from Windows 98 to repeat the steps. This was a no go as well.
Using a Win98 laptop with no firewall -- A HUGE RISK THESE DAYS!!! -- I connected to the Internet hot on the DSL modem with the Verizon software. I started searching the Internet high and low for a solution. Nothing seemed to be there as a backup plan.
I then gave up and took the laptop off the Internet. I went back and connected with pppoeconf from command line on Linux. I put in my Verizon information and sure enough it connected. That's why I can post this to you now.
So, instead of my usual 2 firewall jump to reach you all, I'm on just 1 firewall jump, using the iptables firewall script I've implemented on Ubuntu.
If you read anything about how to hack into this device when this occurs, please let me know.
Otherwise, I need to get a new device. It's out of warranty at this point and US Robotics was acquired and spun off again by 3com, making it essentially a whole different company than before. I might not even be able to get tech support for it M-F. Even then, they might not have a solution except for me to ship it back and pay a fee.
The device is $60. I asked my wife if we have $60. We don't. She said we're in a crunch right now, paying bills. So it will have to wait until my next paycheck.