Skip to main content
Welcome guest. | Register | Login | Post

Forum link in top menu, anyone?

7 replies [Last post]
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-18

Every time I visit nuxified.org, I spontaneously start looking for "Forum" link in top horizontal menu. Then I find it in the left vertical "Board Navigation" menu.

I noticed that all links from Board Navigation menu, except Forum link, appear in top horizontal menu. IMO, it would be better if Memberlist link would be removed, and Forum link added to top menu, so that the links are in this order: Home, Forum, FAQ, Search, Usergroups ...

Forum link is definitely more used (and more useful) than Memberlist link, so it makes sense to put it in top menu, right next to Home link, as this is "Free Software and GNU/Linux support forums" site.

What do you think?

libervisco's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-04

You can click on the header to go straight to forums. But if others agree then sure I can put a "forums" link on the top horizontal menu.

Offline
Joined: 2005-12-18
"libervisco" wrote:

You can click on the header to go straight to forums.

Ah, I didn't notice that, that pretty much solves the problem Laughing out loud.

tbuitenh's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-21

I've been using phpBB forums for ages, so it's obvious to me that
big image on top left = go to forums
but now you mention it I remember that I once found out by accident. You're right, it's not so obvious at all. A little extra link to improve useability won't hurt.

AndrewB's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-18
"tbuitenh" wrote:

I've been using phpBB forums for ages, so it's obvious to me that
big image on top left = go to forums
but now you mention it I remember that I once found out by accident. You're right, it's not so obvious at all. A little extra link to improve useability won't hurt.

The big image *did* used to link to the protal.
Navigation has got better.

supermike's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-02-17
Re: Forum link in top menu, anyone?
"stojic" wrote:

Every time I visit nuxified.org, I spontaneously start looking for "Forum" link in top horizontal menu. Then I find it in the left vertical "Board Navigation" menu.

I noticed that all links from Board Navigation menu, except Forum link, appear in top horizontal menu. IMO, it would be better if Memberlist link would be removed, and Forum link added to top menu, so that the links are in this order: Home, Forum, FAQ, Search, Usergroups ...

Forum link is definitely more used (and more useful) than Memberlist link, so it makes sense to put it in top menu, right next to Home link, as this is "Free Software and GNU/Linux support forums" site.

What do you think?

I completely agree with this conclusion. Also, clicks can get expensive if you're concerned about load and bandwidth. So, if you can find easy ways to reduce clicks, that's to everyone's advantage. Memberlist is probably not something one is going to need to click on or have so readily available all the time.

Consider comparing to ubuntuforums.org and view some of the customization that they have done there. Perhaps it can inspire more thought here.

libervisco's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-04

In that case I am going to implement this forum link. Smiling

Thanks

libervisco's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-04
"libervisco" wrote:

In that case I am going to implement