Skip to main content
Welcome guest. | Register | Login | Post

How fast is your machine?

>120mhz
0% (0 votes)
121-233mhz
0% (0 votes)
234-499mhz
5% (1 vote)
500-1ghz
21% (4 votes)
1.1ghz-2ghz
37% (7 votes)
>2ghz
37% (7 votes)
Total votes: 19

Comments

How fast is your machine?

 

How fast is your PC then, your pride and joy, and in some cases, your jobs (only PCs at home though)

How fast,

Mine is 500mhz celeron with 192mb RAM, et tu? (and you)

I have Athlon XP 2000+ which is a 1.66 Ghz AMD K7 type processor and 256 MB RAM of which 16 MB is being allocated for onboard graphics system which leaves around 240 MB system memory.

The processor is great, but I could use more memory since it tends to get overcrowded all too often with some modern apps and many processes (like when having alot of firefox tabs open and a few other medium-weight programs). It swaps alot then (got 2 GB swap Laughing out loud )

Cheers
Daniel

 

ooh, that is a nice machine, I am selling my sparc now, and saving up to get an uber fast new machine that can play Cube and Nexuiz real nice, so I got my lappy, which runs GNU/HURD and damnsmalllinux (the hurd is debian).

So I am sorting out the usb drivers, ready to go on the net with it on dsl Smiling

One is 2.26GHz, the other's 2.4GHz. Both have .5GB RAM and ~80GB harddrives, 1GB of which is for swap (even though it never gets close to needing that much).

Mine is a Celeron 466MHz bought in 2000

Mhz don't mean much anymore as far as processing speed is concerned. Though I voted 500mhz - 1ghz, I'm only waiting for a new case and power supply before I can fire up my dual p3 I'm putting together. 550mhz processors, until I can get a couple faster ones, if I care to. By then, I'll probably just build yet another box.

 
"valan" wrote:

Mhz don't mean much anymore as far as processing speed is concerned. Though I voted 500mhz - 1ghz, I'm only waiting for a new case and power supply before I can fire up my dual p3 I'm putting together. 550mhz processors, until I can get a couple faster ones, if I care to. By then, I'll probably just build yet another box.

I guess you mean dual core computers right?

"onlinebacon" wrote:
"valan" wrote:

Mhz don't mean much anymore as far as processing speed is concerned. Though I voted 500mhz - 1ghz, I'm only waiting for a new case and power supply before I can fire up my dual p3 I'm putting together. 550mhz processors, until I can get a couple faster ones, if I care to. By then, I'll probably just build yet another box.

I guess you mean dual core computers right?

I take that he's building a dual-processor machine, which is a computer which has a motherboard which takes two processors.

dylunio

"onlinebacon" wrote:

ooh, that is a nice machine, I am selling my sparc now, and saving up to get an uber fast new machine that can play Cube and Nexuiz real nice, so I got my lappy, which runs GNU/HURD and damnsmalllinux (the hurd is debian).

I can play cube very well with this, but Nexuiz no.. I have a too weak graphics chip for that one. Same goes for VegaStrike..

"valan" wrote:

Mhz don't mean much anymore as far as processing speed is concerned.

Indeed. That's been so for years, since these "new" K7 AMD processors were starting to come out (just around the end of the last century). If we are to trust AMD, my processor is supposed to be as fast as a P4 on 2 Ghz even though it is only 1.6 Ghz..

"valan" wrote:

Though I voted 500mhz - 1ghz, I'm only waiting for a new case and power supply before I can fire up my dual p3 I'm putting together. 550mhz processors, until I can get a couple faster ones, if I care to. By then, I'll probably just build yet another box.

Sounds interesting. That would basically combine it to a speed equivalent of 1.1 Ghz P3, right?

 

I would have thought it would be faster than that, because of the two cores.

"onlinebacon" wrote:

I would have thought it would be faster than that, because of the two cores.

I think dual-core is not the same as dual-processor. The former is within one processor, as far as I understand, and the latter is just two processors on one board.

Though that would still mean two cores of course, but separate..

Correct me if I'm wrong. Smiling

 

my fastest machine is about 1ghz (933mhz) so i voted 500mhz-1ghz

Dual 550mhz cpus doesn't make it equivalent to a 1.1ghz cpu. I'm not very good at explaining it though, so hopefully someone else will if an explanation is needed. Dual core is like 2 processors in 1, not the same as dual cpu, but kinda the same idea.

AMD 2200 Sempron (about 1.8 Ghz clock speed) with 512 DDR RAM. Bought it mid last year with a 16x DVD/CD-RW optical drive and an 80 GB hard drive, plus a case of my choice out of 3. Paid 550 AUD for it. Then I scored a 10 month old 15" LCD screen for 200 AUD off my dad (who at the same time bought a 19" LCD for himself since he was selling his). For mid last year, a 750 dollars home system like that was dirt cheap. This was at fortnightly computer fair here in Canberra :smiling:

Came with an optical mouse and a keyboard.

I've never bought any hardware from retailers, and by the looks of prices, I think I'll continue my trends.

"valan" wrote:

Dual 550mhz cpus doesn't make it equivalent to a 1.1ghz cpu. I'm not very good at explaining it though, so hopefully someone else will if an explanation is needed. Dual core is like 2 processors in 1, not the same as dual cpu, but kinda the same idea.

Putting it very simply, it will be slightly faster than a 1.1GHz if it has to do two completely independent tasks at the same time (no more context switches). If it has to do one task, it will be just as fast as a single 550MHz.
If it will be faster or slower than a single CPU really depends on what you want to do with it (watching a video while compiling stuff?).

 

Yeah, that is what I was making sure of, it is what I thought it was Smiling

Most of my machines run at ~ 1.33ghz
Obvousley the odd slower ones that i recieve and gut

Athlon64 3200+ with 1GB of RAM (64 bit linux of course)
that gets me just over the 2GHz mark I think.

 

Wow, nice machine free-zombie, I am probably gonna get something like that in a few weeks, i hope.

My workstation is 1.3Ghz.
My file server is a 400mhz system

 

I'm slightly over 2GHz and happy. Smiling

 

What processor do you have spyro_boy?

 

I'm using an AMD AthlonXP 3000+