Skip to main content
Welcome guest. | Register | Login | Post

How to share home's web server over the Internet ?

30 replies [Last post]
kanenas.net's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-03-27

Hello Fedorians...
I am using Fedora Core 3 and I want to share my home's web server over the Internet.
I'm behind a DSL/Cable Modem Router !
I have already set up a free account in Dynamic DNS and added there my WAN IP Address, but when I try to load the index webpage in Firefox all I get is an 404 Error page !!!
BUT when i load the same page in Firefox from...
http://192.168.1.xxx/
loads perfectly !!!

Also I must inform you that from the routers side i have already forward port 80 to 192.168.1.xxx

Any ideas ???

Thanks in advance !

Offline
Joined: 2006-03-28

Did you set up port-forwarding from the router to your box?

kanenas.net's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-03-27

From the routers side i have already forward port 80 to 192.168.1.xxx

Offline
Joined: 2006-03-28

Do you get the real 404 from the webserver or does Firefox just tell you it couldn't open/find the page?

kanenas.net's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-03-27

This is the message i get...

404 Not Found
The requested URL '/wordpress/' was not found on this server.

I don't know... Is that the real 404 ?

kanenas.net's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-03-27

Is there a chance that my ISP blocks inbound port 80 ?

Offline
Joined: 2006-03-28

That sounds like a real 404 to me.
Do you have tcpdump or ethereal on that box? You could monitor traffic and see what's going on. Also having a look into the access- and error-logs of apache might be useful to see what's the problem.

a thing's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-20

It seems everything's working fine but wordpress. Maybe you need to reinstall wordpress. Did you install it in the right place?

kanenas.net's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-03-27
Quote:

It seems everything's working fine but wordpress. Maybe you need to reinstall wordpress. Did you install it in the right place?

WordPress worked just fine at the begining so did and SimplePhpBlog and MAMBO !!!!!

a thing's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-20

Set DocumentRoot in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf to the directory above wordpress if it isn't.

kanenas.net's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-03-27

Well I tried ports 8080, 8888...
These are the steps I did...

1. vi /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
Changing the port from the default 80 to 8080(the first time) and 8888(the second time)
2. /etc/init.d/httpd restart
In order the changes to take effect !
3.Router's side...
PortForward to 8080(the first time) and 8888(the second time)

Nothing :-(
It is for sure that something i am doing the wrong way, but what in the hell is ???

kanenas.net's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-03-27

I don't understand !
Now the pages when I hit
http://192.168.1.xxx:8888/wordpress
or
http://192.168.1.xxx:8888/sphpblog
everything is in place !!!
:-) :-)
At least this is working !!!

kanenas.net's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-03-27

But still the name(xxx.is-a-geek.com) that DynDns gave me doesn't work !!!
Either the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx WAN IP !!!
Both of them takes me to my login router screen !

HELPPPPPP...

Offline
Joined: 2006-03-28

Is it possible that you have a VirtualHost configured for your LAN-IP?
This would explain why your paths won't work when you contact the external IP.

a thing's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-20

Perhaps it's an SELinux problem. system-config-securitylevel > SELinux > SELinux Service Protection > Disable SELinux protection for httpd daemon then [i]service httpd restart[i].

dylunio's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-20

kanenas.net Are you trying to access your webserver via ***.is-a-geek.com while you are behind your router? If I just go to my DynDNS adress from behind the router it'll try to connect to the router itself, since that's what has the external IP - this usually gives 404 messages if it's anything above the document root (because it's not your webserver)

So you can check from outside the home network to see if you can access your webserver.

dylunio

kanenas.net's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-03-27
"dylunio" wrote:

kanenas.net Are you trying to access your webserver via ***.is-a-geek.com while you are behind your router? If I just go to my DynDNS adress from behind the router it'll try to connect to the router itself, since that's what has the external IP - this usually gives 404 messages if it's anything above the document root (because it's not your webserver)

So you can check from outside the home network to see if you can access your webserver.

dylunio

Thanks for your help !
Folks I am sorry, I had to post earlier but I was working for over 12 hours and I had to rest a little...
So... I found out exactly what you are saying but not from an outside computer. I used one of these anonymazer syrfing sites and all worked perfect !!!

Of course, now I am experiencing other kind of problems....

Thanks again for you instant help !!!

dylunio's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-20
I'm glad you've got it

I'm glad you've got it working now :-)

Something I find usful is to put in my /etc/hosts file: 192.168.1.*** dylunio.homelinux.com That way when I type "http://dylunio.homelinux.com" into my browser address bar it'll go to my web server - not my router.

If you have any more queiries; fire away.

dylunio

free-zombie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-03-08

interesting... my router doesn't do that...

dylunio's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-20
"free-zombie" wrote:

interesting... my router doesn't do that...

Hardware, makes everything unpredictable...

a thing's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-20
"free-zombie" wrote:

interesting... my router doesn't do that...

Same here.

supermike's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-02-17

I hate to sound bad, but my take is that putting a home web server on the Internet is "bad form". Not only is it a great security risk to you, even if you utilize one or more firewalls, but it's also a great way to get banned by your ISP because it is often against their policy. ISP's sniff this stuff out and shut it down, I hear. But if you can get away with it and don't have this fear, more power to you.

May I suggest a cheap account at webcomindia.com? I don't mean that as a product endorsement because there are many other providers. It's just that they offer PHP, MySQL, and Linux web hosting at an extraordinarily cheap rate. If you can do better, of course, please do.

P.S. And note also my dad. He thought he had to have a web server on the Internet in order to do web development in PHP. (He's a newbie learning PHP.) I told him that no, he can load a local web server on his workstation and be completely disconnected from the Internet to test it in loopback mode. When I showed him how to get the local web server going and connect to it using the 127.0.0.1 address, he was happy. Don't know if this applies to you too, but I throw that out, anyway.

dylunio's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-20

But supermike running your own publically viewable webserver is fun Smiling
I've been doing it for over a year, and had a dedicated webserver for about 6 months and havn't had any problems, I run glsa-check regularly, I have a very small shorewall white list and I'm happy.

But I'll agree that it's not for everyone.

kanenas.net's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-03-27
"supermike" wrote:

I hate to sound bad, but my take is that putting a home web server on the Internet is "bad form". Not only is it a great security risk to you, even if you utilize one or more firewalls, but it's also a great way to get banned by your ISP because it is often against their policy. ISP's sniff this stuff out and shut it down, I hear. But if you can get away with it and don't have this fear, more power to you.

May I suggest a cheap account at webcomindia.com? I don't mean that as a product endorsement because there are many other providers. It's just that they offer PHP, MySQL, and Linux web hosting at an extraordinarily cheap rate. If you can do better, of course, please do.

P.S. And note also my dad. He thought he had to have a web server on the Internet in order to do web development in PHP. (He's a newbie learning PHP.) I told him that no, he can load a local web server on his workstation and be completely disconnected from the Internet to test it in loopback mode. When I showed him how to get the local web server going and connect to it using the 127.0.0.1 address, he was happy. Don't know if this applies to you too, but I throw that out, anyway.

supermike you are apsolutely right, but always it depends on what you have in mind to do !!!

Offline
Joined: 2006-05-16
1and1 is even a better deal, although webcomindia

looks good. 1and1.com offers 5gb web space and 250gb for $2.99 instead of webcomindia 100mb web for $2.50.

AndrewB's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-18
As dylunio says, it is fun

As dylunio says, it is fun to have the box locally, my server is in my cupboard!

Warms my room up. Which has gota save on the heating bill!

I got my domain from one+one too, which just forwards to my server.

When/if the site pay's with the limited adverts, I will pay for hosting. As I dont think my connection likes it, and it is a lot less hassle with ip's changing etc...

It is a good idea to home host, while the site is in devlopment. Untill you get a small audience, and you know it will become something larger and worth hosting..

My 2 pence(uk) Sticking out tongue

supermike's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-02-17
1and1

I'll have to check them out. I need PHP 4 or 5 and a free MySQL database, however. (However, I like PostgreSQL more.) Also, webcomindia.com has this wicked control panel that I love and they also have Mambo and PHPNuke that I can install for free.

 

free-zombie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-03-08
find me a cheap host with

find me a cheap host with mod_python Sticking out tongue

I actually plan to move my web site (currently PHP based at a hosting company) home, reducing costs.

If there were problems with the ISP (it's annoying enough that they feel they have to reconnect us at least every 24 hours and won't offer static IPs on DSL... (threatens there dedicated line buisiness....)

 

edit: actually my mom is encourtaging me to get the site home since she realized that she can't stop me from not having a hachine running 24/7... ;) 

libervisco's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-04
I think the hosting company

I think the hosting company that hosts Libervis Network (see link in footer) supports python and also has PostgreSQL. I can also vouch for good support.

The only disadvantages I can think of are that they are a local company (though they do accept credit card payments) and use cpanel for control panel, which is proprietary (though I'm planning to bug them for an alternative panel like webmin.. Smiling ).

Of course, the sweetest thing a webmaster can have is to host his websites on his own home server. That is unfortunately still off limit to some, like me, who just don't have the good enough infrastructure (connection and constant power supply even) to pull it out, even if we know how to administrate the system.

supermike's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-02-17
A free control

A free control panel: 

http://vhcs.net/new/

BTW, does shopcentar.hr have a USA English version of their website and a currency translator?

BTW, here's a wicked skin for webmin:

http://www.stress-free.co.nz/content/view/141/2/

 

libervisco's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-04
Hm that VHCS might be

Hm that VHCS might be something to check out and suggest as an alternative maybe..

supermike wrote:

BTW, does shopcentar.hr have a USA English version of their website and a currency translator?

As far as I know not yet, but that is planned from what they say. As for currency translator it doesn't appear they have one, but you can use something like this.

I'm not 100% sure if they accept foreign customers yet, but my guess would be that they do, so you might give them a buzz. Smiling

supermike wrote:

BTW, here's a wicked skin for webmin:

http://www.stress-free.co.nz/content/view/141/2/

That looks great! I have a webmin on my local server installation so might try that one. Smiling

Cheers
Daniel

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.