Skip to main content
Welcome guest. | Register | Login | Post

Problem with tomboy

1 reply [Last post]
libervisco's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-04

I have a problem with tomboy that wouldn't let it run. It started happening after some recent updates to GNOME from the beginning of this month or so. Even after few more updates from Arch repos the problem persists though.

So I thought maybe someone would have an idea of what's wrong. Tomboy is a mono application and its executables are actually .exe files as in windows (except that they're not in windows Sticking out tongue ).

Anyway, when I run it here is what I got:

Trying Plugin: ExportToHTML.dll ... ExportToHTMLPlugin. Done.
Trying Plugin: PrintNotes.dll ... PrintPlugin. Done.

** (Tomboy:6997): WARNING **: The following assembly referenced from /opt/gnome/lib/tomboy/Tomboy.exe could not be loaded:
Assembly: dbus-sharp (assemblyref_index=4)
Version: 0.50.0.0
Public Key: 9eef2692033670f5
The assembly was not found in the Global Assembly Cache, a path listed in the MONO_PATH environment variable, or in the location of the executing assembly (/opt/gnome/lib/tomboy).

=================================================================
Got a SIGSEGV while executing native code. This usually indicates
a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries
used by your application.
=================================================================

Stacktrace:

in Tomboy.Tomboy:Main (string[]) <0xffffffff>
in Tomboy.Tomboy:Main (string[]) <0x12a>
in (wrapper runtime-invoke) System.Object:runtime_invoke_void_string[] (object,intptr,intptr,intptr) <0x505d38d7>

Native stacktrace:

mono(mono_handle_native_sigsegv+0xc3) [0x8151763]
mono [0x811f030]
[0xffffe440]
mono(mono_assembly_load_reference+0x16a) [0x80d73ba]
mono(mono_class_from_typeref+0x26d) [0x80ecb4d]
mono(mono_class_get+0xf2) [0x80eb8e2]
mono [0x80ddc2e]
mono(mono_metadata_parse_type_full+0x138) [0x80dde98]
mono(mono_metadata_parse_mh_full+0x3bb) [0x80deafb]
mono(mono_method_get_header+0x14a) [0x80e5e4a]
mono [0x813b154]
mono [0x813ccb0]
mono(mono_magic_trampoline+0x1a) [0x8152aca]
[0xb7f5f032]
[0xb7ac07c3]
mono(mono_runtime_exec_main+0x60) [0x8094070]
mono(mono_runtime_run_main+0x16d) [0x80973ed]
mono(mono_main+0x102a) [0x805cfda]
/lib/tls/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xd0) [0xb7d56e00]
mono [0x805ba51]

The emphasized message suggests that the problem is in mono runtime libraries themselves, but since mono was already newly updated I wonder what else could it be?

Thanks

libervisco's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-04
tomboy finally works - here's a solution!

I've had a similar problem today with epiphany refusing to run because apparently dbus wasn't working properly. It turned out that when I started X into GNOME, dbus wasn't properly started with it.. A guy from #archlinux irc.freenode.net channel helped me with that. What he suggested was to add this line to my .xinitrc file for starting X:

exec dbus-launch --exit-with-session /opt/gnome/bin/gnome-session

After starting X and GNOME with that, epiphany worked properly.

Now, that was related to epiphany and is slightly on topic because it has to do with dbus.

The problem we identified above is in that the version of dbus-sharp I was running was 0.61 while the version of tomboy I had installed was compiled to dbus-sharp 0.50.

The solution here is, of course, to compile tomboy with the running dbus-sharp 0.61. After I've done that, using Arch Build System (though same would apply no matter what your compilation method is), tomboy works!

So there, it might be useful to someone.

Cheers
Daniel

Comment viewing options