Skip to main content
Welcome guest. | Register | Login | Post

replies to a_things suggestions...

6 replies [Last post]
libervisco's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-04

Since this thread was supposed to be only an introduction I'm continuing it here. The present posts can stay where they are as moving individual posts is a bit difficult here, but the discussion can continue here..

ariadacapo wrote:

I am juggling between two extremes here.
One is the FSF/GNU website, which should be what everyone points to when speaking about "Linux". It's very clear and precise about what is wrong and right, what an operating system is, what freedom means, etc, etc. But it's just not what I need when trying to get someone to discover GNU/Linux.
The other is the getfirefox website / spreadfirefox campaign. It's very neat, incredibly good at marketing, clear, simple - but it misses the point completely about freedom in software.
My intention is to be neither a website about "how cool Linux is", nor a repeat of the FSF website.
So, I took the following shortcuts:
(...)

I can see your point of view and when talking aloud I sometimes say just "Linux" too. I can see the reality of the fact that GNU/Linux is just harder and less practical to pronounce. I believe that once the job of the FSF/GNU is largely done the insistance on calling it GNU/Linux will fade away in favour of the easier and more friendly term "Linux".

However that day hasn't come and therefore I think it is still important to use the term GNU/Linux whenever possible and hence I'm using it exclusively when writing on the net (as writing it is much easier than pronouncing it). It doesn't require any real effort. It's not so much about giving credit to the GNU Project as it is about leading people to the philosophy of freedom that GNU Project lives on. And since still too many people don't see that philosophy and are only exposed to one side of the story, the Linus Torwalds and "open source" non-ideological side, it's still important to use the term GNU/Linux as much as possible and entice others to it as well. The "GNU" part then has an effect of leading people to find out about "GNU" and what was it all about.

You however already explain the philosophy of freedom on your site and already do teach people its importance and also point out that GNU/Linux is the officially best term to use when calling the operating system known as "Linux" so I wont be on your neck for missing to add "GNU" to the term every time in your texts.

Do consider though that some may follow your example and miss the term as well, however significant or not the consequences of that. Eye

Cheers
Daniel

free-zombie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-03-08
on © and ®: © makes no

on © and ®:
© makes no sense for names like "Word ©". © is only used in actual Copyright © statements.
Word is no trade mark. Leave it without simbol.

ariadacapo's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-07-13
point taken and job done
libervisco wrote:

It's not so much about giving credit to the GNU Project as it is about leading people to the philosophy of freedom that GNU Project lives on. And since still too many people don't see that philosophy and are only exposed to one side of the story, the Linus Torwalds and "open source" non-ideological side, it's still important to use the term GNU/Linux as much as possible and entice others to it as well.

Absolutely. The tricky part is simply encouraging the use of the "GNU/Linux" term, while being found by, reaching, get read, accepted and understood by people who never ever saw that "GNU/" in front of "Linux".
"Tricky" is quite a weak word Wink

ariadacapo's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-07-13
free-zombie wrote: on ©
free-zombie wrote:

on © and ®:
© makes no sense for names like "Word ©". © is only used in actual Copyright © statements.
Word is no trade mark. Leave it without symbol.

You're right. Enough with all these useless symbols. All ©s are now gone.

Olivier.

ariadacapo's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-07-13
a_thing's comments

Just wish to add that I made a few modifications according to a_thing's initial propositions (see edits in my answer).

Olivier.

a thing's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-20
GNU/Linux

I think using GNU/Linux or GNU+Linux is fine as long as you tell them how to pronounce it and have that FAQ about GNU/Linux v. Linux. Don't forget to talk about this.

When pointing to the distros, point to the FAQ on why they call their systems "Linux".

ariadacapo's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-07-13
a thing wrote: I think </