Seeing the movie, Firewall
The recent movie at the box office, Firewall, although cheesy at times, makes you think.
* Are you in a sysop job where you have access to thousands or even millions of USA social security numbers, phone numbers, and addresses? Did you know that in recent news a ring of people were convicted and found that they were trying to sell 1.5M of this identity info? And do you know what the street value of 1.5M of identify info is? The article claimed it was $7M.
* If you're a sysop with God rights, have you approached your boss about changing the controls so that the database directory that stores the identity data is off-limits to you and only accessible by some particularly tough means?
* What about the accounts receivables checks coming in -- have you blocked your access to these as well?
* Do you have a home alarm system and an emergency plan? What about a "safe room" or a hidden trap door to exit the house?
* Do you have a hidden perimeter monitor around your yard that dings when something passes it?
* Do you own a weapon and have it secured and hidden from plain sight at home? What about pepper gas on a keychain or near the doors?
* Do you continually work to make yourself anonymous on the web along with the actions of your family members?
I could rattle on and on. Of course, nothing is perfect, but security apathy is worse. I'm definitely going to have to make some changes at the office today.