Skip to main content
Welcome guest. | Register | Login | Post

Server name could not be resolved

2 replies [Last post]
libervisco's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-04

I have a really weird problem right now with firefox, but also other similar browsers such as epiphany and galeon - not with konqueror though.

When I access Nuxified.org, yes this very site, I get a 503: Service Unavailable "Server name could not be resolved" error further describing "The address of the requested server could not be resolved to an IP address."

I believe it is not a problem with Nuxified.org nor the server where it is hosted because my host has checked and there doesn't seem to be a problem and (as you can see) I can actually access the site using konqueror. I can also ping it succesfuly and access it with links as well.

So the problem must be in firefox or something that underlies it as well as epiphany and galeon.. maybe even GNOME itself.

The weird thing about this is that I can get to all other sites except this one and the only thing that makes this particular site special coming anywhere close to justifying being the only one that doesn't work in these browsers is that it is the site I started (e.g. I must be under some sort of a funny curse for that) and the more serious reason, that it changed servers and thus the DNS recently (but then if there was a real DNS problem it would probably be inaccessible completely, not only in some programs, and then you probably wouldn't see it as well and my host would be on top of the problem).

I have tried deleting firefox cache, but that doesn't work. Anyone has any ideas?

Thanks
Daniel

tbuitenh's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-21
Has there been an upgrade of

Has there been an upgrade of firefox recently? If so, what happens when you downgrade?

Also, try renaming your firefox configuration directory (so it has to create a fresh one) and see what happens. (note I said renaming not deleting Eye )

libervisco's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-04
Thanks Taco Yes there was a

Thanks Taco

Yes there was a Firefox upgrade recently, but I'm not sure that is the reason. I suspected it might be because I have wrapped my GNOME session with dbus which might have, in some strange way, prevented some GNOME or GTK cache which might have something to do with these browsers to be reset once the Nuxified DNS was reset.

Anyway, once I have started GNOME without dbus wrapped around and then back again.. it worked and still works.

It's sitll pretty weird and I'm not exactly sure what was the cause, but well.. it works so.. it's OK now.

Btw, I wrapped GNOME in dbus because some programs apparently didn't start or recognize dbus on their own such as epiphany, and pre-wrapping it in dbus solved that problem per the suggestion of one guy from #archlinux channel..

Thanks

Comment viewing options

Select you