The Perfect FLOSS Software Development Company
I visualize success at times when I'm not wanting to finish a project. I try to envision myself the millionaire behind a FLOSS company, not only making a lot of people in the FLOSS community happy, but paying employees a sufficient wage, including myself.
Therefore, what do you think the perfect FLOSS (Free, Libre, Open Source Software) development company would be like if you were to work for them?
* Take advice from Paul Graham (famous IT essayist) and start the company in an rented apartment.
* Naps -- but what kind of rules about those naps? And how do you enforce that people don't oversleep and mess things up for everyone?
* Free drinks and especially decaf and caf coffee. But how do you pay for it affordably? Do you use productivity metrics that lower the bill to zero per department or per month?
* What other kinds of benefits?
* Sick leave is paid or unpaid? How many days allowed in a month/year?
* How do you solve the problems of meetings taking too long, or not enough productivity coming out of them?
What's bad about the company you work for, and which you would completely undo if you had the chance?
* Stupid product or product configuration decisions. For instance, we have this product, Patrol, and we use it to monitor our Windows and Linux servers. Unfortunately some dope in the main office forced us to use a Windows domain ID. The problem is that if someone messes up a Patrol config, then the Windows domain account locks out, and people get false outages on their servers, causing everyone to react over nothing. Besides, Patrol is a lousy product and we have much better success with a combination of pingloops, Snare syslog forwarding client for Windows, syslog forwarding, and regular Bash, Perl, or PHP scripts that play with grep, sed, and gawk.
* Managers who get all the glory and all the cash for the hard work you do for them.
* No telecommute options, even if just once or twice a week. When you live an hour from work, it would really help to have this. I would even be willing to do it on a set schedule, such as only Mondays, or only Fridays, etc.
Anyway, let me know your opinions. It gets me to think about my future and motivates me. Perhaps it can motivate you too.