How to find right Distro for a server-like thing?
I have a question and I'm here 'cause I hope to get a helpful answer from you. If I got the wrong place, please tell me a better one.
I have an old Computer with currently Windows XP. I don't want to put it to the rest (among others because the system is exceptionally stable running), so I decided to make it useful another way: I want to have that Computer running without Peripherals (Keyboard, Screen, optical drives) in my home LAN to let the other Computers there acces a printer and a HDD.
My experience with Linux is not very big, I know some theoretical things, but not e.g. how to use a Command Line with (Linux (!))
Now my problem is to find a distribution that matters my requirements:
- runs on an old system:
* Pentium III processor, max. 450 MHz
* 523 MB SDRAM
- boots from Floppy OR small Partition OR (worse) CD
- supports printer Epson EPL-5800L over LPT
- supports data reading and writing from other (Windows) Computers over LAN (I imagine that to be like Windows Shared Folders; perhaps a Webserver matches that imagination)
- supports my "D-Link DFE-530TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter" (LAN)
- has a very short boot time
Currently, there are 2 HDDs (10 and 12 GB), 2 DVD Drives, a sound card, a AGP Graphics Card, 2 USB-Cards, the network card mentioned above and a Floppy drive running in this system. I would like to separate as many components as possible from power connection. In best case, only the CPU, the Mainboard, the Network Card, the Printer and one HDD would be running.
thanks for proposes