Skip to main content
Welcome guest. | Register | Login | Post

How to add a second os

4 replies [Last post]
Offline
Joined: 2006-11-20

I wanted to know how to add a second os. currently i am upgrading ubuntu to 6.10. I am looking to add fedora or suse. How should i apporach this?

free-zombie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-03-08
The installers of both

The installers of both Fefora and SuSE should be capable of taking some space away from the ubuntu partition, and probably an easy way to access the ubuntu partition. I suggest you start the installer of the system you wish to install and take a lot of care when you are asked about hard disks. Erasing the whole disk is not what you want, you're more likely to have to create a custom partition layout (unless there's an easier option in the installer)

Offline
Joined: 2006-11-20
so will installer recognize ubuntu there

or will i have to know? I dont want to damage/erase ubuntu. And how much space should i set aside for each install.

Also i want to play around with the server/workstation/enterprise open source os. freebsd/opensolaris or such What would be a good place to start. Any os to recommend for test drive?

Is there an os that behaves like windows? where i can load windows files.Some software only runs on windows, what should i do?

How do install them without a disc? (I dont have a burner)

free-zombie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-03-08
fr0zenmon wrote: or will i
fr0zenmon wrote:

or will i have to know? I dont want to damage/erase ubuntu. And how much space should i set aside for each install.

in my experience 10GB are all you'll need for any install, plus extra space for data, whereever you store that.

Quote:

Also i want to play around with the server/workstation/enterprise open source os. freebsd/opensolaris or such What would be a good place to start. Any os to recommend for test drive?

I'd recommend that you stay on linux for the moment. Ubuntu, Fedora and SuSE all include server software, and GNU/Linux is quite similar to FreeBSD or Solaris.

Quote:

Is there an os that behaves like windows? where i can load windows files.Some software only runs on windows, what should i do?

ReactOS is being designed as a clone of Windows NT, and AFAIK many windows apps run on it. There is a review of it on Nuxified.org. It is illegal in (as good as ?) all of the world to just download Windows, whose copyright lies by Microsoft, who do not permit this.

Quote:

How do install them without a disc? (I dont have a burner)

This is tricky. Some distributions are installable via floppy disks, the one I know to have this feature is Debian GNU/Linux. If you are really adventurous, you could have a look at Gentoo Linux, a simple Linux distribution where basically everything is installed from source, because of which installing anything takes ages, especially on old computers. Gentoo takes a lot of time, but the most excellent handbook that guides you through a CD-less (optionally) installation procedure teaches you a lot. If you are seriously interested in learning low-level stuff about GNU/Linux and have a fast computer (post your specs if you're not sure), I definitely recommend installing Gentoo at some point, even if you don't use it a lot.

a thing's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-20
not everywhere
free-zombie wrote:

It is illegal in (as good as ?) all of the world to just download Windows, whose copyright lies by Microsoft, who do not permit this.

Some countries don't have copyright laws.

Comment viewing options