Skip to main content
Welcome guest. | Register | Login | Post

Preparing The Nuxified Competition 2007

12 replies [Last post]
libervisco's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-04

The time has come to put this thing in motion. This thread is about preparing for the realization of the competition idea presented here.

The idea is to attract people to compete in helping each other with their Free Software and GNU/Linux issues. There are two prizes waiting for two types of people involved in this, the prize for a helper and the prize for a random newbie asking a question.

The competition is to last exactly one month. I will probably set up a countdown module to take care of counting, making it look more exciting, but the deadline will be known all along.

Knowledgeable GNU/Linux users have a chance to win a "helpers prize" by being the ones who successfully and effectively help the most people in this one month time. The runner ups to the winner will also be announced to honor their efforts.

In order to motivate people to ask questions in the first place, there is an "askers prize" (may need to come up with a better name for this), which is going to be handed to a *random* guy on the list of those who entered to ask a question within this month time.

Obviously, this requires keeping track of who registers, who helps by answering questions and how many times, as well as tracking who asks a valid question within this month time. We need to discuss best ways to do that.

Then, after the month is over, we need to determine the winner from the data we collected, namely the list of helpers and how many times they have helped someone and the list of those who asked for help.

We need to make the process transparent so we need to devise a way to make picking a random winner from the "askers" group a public event. My idea is to feed an IRC bot with names and schedule an event for running the bot to spew us the name of the winner.

As for the helpers, all data will have to be public so it will be quite obvious by the end of the month who is the winner. It is likely the community will soon recognize those who put the most effort into helping people.

The goal of the competition is to make Nuxified.org the place where people ask for help with their GNU/Linux. We offer this little teaser in form of a prize to motivate them to ask a question here instead of some other forum. They can't lose. They can get their question answered and even win a prize for that.

Those who will be the ones answering questions should also be motivated by a prize they might get and the recognition within the community.

If successful this competition will become the annual event on Nuxified.org!

EDIT: I've attached a banner:

Nuxified Competition 2007

AttachmentSize
nuxhelp.png19.29 KB
libervisco's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-04
I am simply amazed by the

I am simply amazed by the lack of interest for this thread.

That's fine.. you know.. I'll do it myself.

AndrewB's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-18
Ok, Well after the

Ok, Well after the discussion of the name and how you thought we could draw it, which is a good idea, I went and asked on the SupyBot forums for such a plugin. It does not seem like any1 has teken me up and advising on an old plugin, or how to go about a new one. I think I will be able to write an irssi script to do this. So I would write it, put the source here for people to see that it was not fake. I would not be allowed to enter the comp, but I do not mind. [I don't actually know about the conditions on mods being able to enter.] Is there any plug in for helpfulness or karma.
I think that the top helpful users should be crowed with a status of "Trusted Nuxer" or such too. So they are remembered.
I do think we should maybe emphasize the point that we do not accept FTFM or such. Though if linking to an article the mods should check this out to see if the answer is obvious.
New users I would hope that they repost saying how successful they are with the help. Or even how they differed. This way we can create a page of how to do things..

libervisco's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-04
The output of irssi scripts

The output of irssi scripts is seen on any other client (like xchat), right?

Quote:

I would not be allowed to enter the comp, but I do not mind. [I don't actually know about the conditions on mods being able to enter.] Is there any plug in for helpfulness or karma.

Actually, just because you write a script doesn't mean you couldn't enter. If you post the source then everyone can verify it is neutral so it shouldn't be a problem. As for the fact that you are a moderator.. that's something to be decided on. It would be awkward to have a number of new users join the competition and help a lot of people and then a moderator ends up winning. The mod would deserve it because of helping so many people, but on the other hand it might look bad on the outside. I'm not sure. Maybe that's something mods should vote on. Smiling

There are some Drupal modules for karma, but all such modules were rejected by the early Nuxified core community long ago in order to avoid abuse and inequality between members. We could reconsider that though..

Quote:

I think that the top helpful users should be crowed with a status of "Trusted Nuxer" or such too. So they are remembered.

Sounds like a good idea. What do others think of that? Maybe they would hold the title for one year time or as long as they remain active helping members.

Quote:

I do think we should maybe emphasize the point that we do not accept FTFM or such. Though if linking to an article the mods should check this out to see if the answer is obvious.

Agreed. Anti-RTFM guidelines are already valid on Nuxified.org and there is no reason for it to be different in the competition. Meaningless and obvious posts shouldn't be counted.

This reminds me of one idea.. maybe we should have a points ruleset and award points for each helpful response the member makes during the competition. Then we could award full points to helpful responses and half-points (0.5) to vaguely helpful responses. Zero would go to unhelpful responses.

This might allow for better flexibility.

Quote:

New users I would hope that they repost saying how successful they are with the help. Or even how they differed. This way we can create a page of how to do things..

That's actually encouraged all the time. The "About Nuxified.org" forum is always waiting for criticism.

Thanks

AndrewB's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-18
Further comments.
libervisco wrote:

The output of irssi scripts is seen on any other client (like xchat), right?

Indeed, they can be displayed to everyone.

libervisco wrote:

Actually, just because you write a script doesn't mean you couldn't enter. If you post the source then everyone can verify it is neutral so it shouldn't be a problem.

Well, what if i were to run another script that chooses me or another member I am friends with? I will not enter, it would start too many problems. I really don't mind.

libervisco wrote:

As for the fact that you are a moderator.. that's something to be decided on. It would be awkward to have a number of new users join the competition and help a lot of people and then a moderator ends up winning. The mod would deserve it because of helping so many people, but on the other hand it might look bad on the outside. I'm not sure. Maybe that's something mods should vote on. Smiling

I assume there will be a Libervis Mod talk before we launch it, so we are all aware of everything concerning the competition.

libervisco wrote:

There are some Drupal modules for karma, but all such modules were rejected by the early Nuxified core community long ago in order to avoid abuse and inequality between members. We could reconsider that though..

It may provide useful for the competition, we can easily disable it later/after.

libervisco wrote:

Sounds like a good idea. What do others think of that? Maybe they would hold the title for one year time or as long as they remain active helping members.

The latter is better.

libervisco wrote:

Agreed. Anti-RTFM guidelines are already valid on Nuxified.org and there is no reason for it to be different in the competition. Meaningless and obvious posts shouldn't be counted.

I just think we should enforce this to full extent as we will be getting alot of new users..I hope.

libervisco wrote:

This reminds me of one idea.. maybe we should have a points ruleset and award points for each helpful response the member makes during the competition. Then we could award full points to helpful responses and half-points (0.5) to vaguely helpful responses. Zero would go to unhelpful responses.

A very good idea.

libervisco's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-04
I agree with everything.

I agree with everything. It's a good idea to have a Mod meeting before the launch. Hopefully we can arrange that.

I'll look for best user-points module to use for the competition, though manual inspection of posts will play a major role in this anyway.

a thing's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-20
impression

I've a feeling this will come off to outsiders (like from LXer) as being a desperate last attempt before death.

AndrewB's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-18
The competition is to be

The competition is to be ran every year or so, why can we be planning so far ahead if we are dying?

libervisco's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-04
You know what? It's not

You know what? It's not dieing until I say it's dieing. Got that? Eye

We can't just not do something because someone may think something about it. You've made that comment before on something, and I don't buy it at this point.

Btw, if people start insisting it is dieing, you know what is the only course of action you are leaving me with? Selling it to someone else!

Now let's do something constructive with this.

tbuitenh's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-21
If this was a desperate

If this was a desperate attempt before death, Danijel wouldn't have the money to buy a prize Sticking out tongue .

You do raise a valid point. The announcement of the competition has to contain the right reasons for having such a competition, or else some will assume the wrong reasons.

- last attempt to make the community grow instead of shrink:
Not true, so don't mention it. If you want to say something about it at all, say "Nuxified is an emerging free software support community" or something like that, and nothing more.

- small investment to make the community grow faster, and advertising profits with it:
True, of course, but not what people want to read.

Then what do they want to read? Well, something that puts them in the center, something that makes them feel appreciated. Something like this:

Nuxified has begun to make some profit, some of which we want to give back to the community that makes it possible. It's not (yet?) possible to give a meaningful donation to every single contributor in this community, especially because we consider questions just as important as answers. Therefore, we decided to give one prize to the best answerer of questions, and one to a random asker. These prizes are not just for current members, each new member is just as valuable as an older member. We welcome you to the first edition of the yearly Nuxified competition!

libervisco's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-04
I completely agree with

I completely agree with you. That's exactly how it should be done.

It really does describe the real situation. While activity may currently be slower than usual here, this seems to be case on many other sites in January as well, so that's not a real indication of dying or shrinking..

The truth is that with revenues made I can not only invest in one of these prizes (even two if necessary), but also invest in advertising this site through google, which I will do. Smiling

If things continue to go well we may have more than this competition organized for awarding best contributors. Eye

tbuitenh's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-21
I guess some people have

I guess some people have "spend less time on the internet" and "work harder" as new year's resolutions Laughing out loud

Launching the competition and google advertisements at the same time seems like a good idea... if you mention the competition in the advertisement.

Now I wonder what the right adwords are. I for one have never searched for "free software help community". "linux", "howto" and "tutorial" are the ones I would choose.

libervisco's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-04
Well I already pretty much

Well I already pretty much have that planned. In fact my adwords campaign is already set and ready to go just waiting for the cash (it's not in the bank *yet* and I'm waiting for the supported debit card). It's going to be cheap at first, as I experiment with it.

The keywords I am targeting are "linux help" and "linux help forums" mostly (and some related terms).

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.